KEF LSX speakers resemble their impressive big brother, the KEF LS50 Wireless, with a smaller footprint and more compact enclosure. But don’t let their size fool you — you’ll be amazed at how much clear, well-defined sound comes out of these beauties.
Listen to a range of sources
The right-hand speaker features analog and digital inputs for connecting components like a turntable with a built-in phono preamp or a CD player. Or you can stream music wirelessly via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
They come in five stylish colors to match your decor, so they’ll look as good as they sound.
Audiophiles may appreciate the ability to make a wired connection between speakers via the included Ethernet cable, but the pair can also be linked wirelessly to allow for more flexible placement options.
Eric Angevine: Several companies have been creating powered speakers recently. How did you set out to make yours different and unique to the way KEF does things?
Dr. Jack Oclee-Brown: It’s a question of trying to offer as much as possible of the typical KEF performance, but for somebody who either doesn’t have a system at all, or they want a second system. They want to buy just one system, take it home, and have it running immediately with all the convenience of a full system with the optical inputs and all that.
It’s trying to not dilute it too much, really. You’ve still got Uni-Q in there. It’s big enough that we can get good bass output. It’s stereo — a lot of these products they sacrifice that by putting it in one box, which is important if you want to trim it down, but stereo is really crucial to accurate music. You’re putting in all the electronics that deliver the sound quality as well.
With traditional passive speakers, it can be hard to find just the right amplifier to match. KEF has eliminated the guesswork with the LSX. They put two custom-designed amplifiers in each speaker — 70 watts to each 4-1/2″ woofer, and 30 watts to each 3/4″ tweeter — so each driver gets exactly the power it needs for phenomenal results.
And the attention to detail doesn’t stop there. Each driver has a high-end 24-bit/192 kHz DAC to make digital sound come alive.
Built-in digital signal processing (DSP) offers an easy Beginner mode, but you may prefer to take total control in Expert mode, and tweak the sound to perfectly suit your listening space. Whichever way you choose, you can make your changes via a free smartphone app, available for Apple® and Android™ devices.
My hands-on experience with the KEF LSX
When I listen to music on a powered stereo speaker made by KEF – large or small – I expect clarity and detail, and they always perform admirably. But there’s one virtue shared by all of the LS line that consistently delivers above and beyond my expectations. They always produce musical bass that fills the available space.
I unboxed a pair of compact LSX active speakers at home, connected them to my Wi-Fi network, and put them through their paces. Even without a break-in period, a cello sonata sounded rich and full, and when I switched to electronic music I could feel the low notes in my sternum. I don’t know how they do it, but I’m glad they do.
These speakers are also beautiful to look at. No need to hide them away. I borrowed the black version, and the cloth outer skin made them feel like an organic part of my decor — like I had chosen them specifically to match my room. They’re more than elegant enough to sit in any room of my home as everyday speakers.
KEF LSX speakers come in a variety of eye-pleasing colors. All versions except Gloss White feature a cloth-wrapped cabinet.
A wide «sweet spot,» thanks to Uni-Q technology
KEF’s patented Uni-Q technology places each speaker’s tweeter in the acoustic center of the bass/midrange cone. That lets LSX speakers create a detailed, accurate, three-dimensional sound image. In essence, it makes the «sweet spot» — the ideal listening position — much larger. Sit wherever you like! It’ll sound fantastic.
Customizable room EQ with the free app
KEF knows each room is unique, so they’ve put the power of choice in your hands. Just download KEF’s free app, and you’ll be able to tune the speakers to suit your space. Once you’ve made all the big adjustments, you can revisit and make fine-tuning tweaks to your heart’s content.
We’ve seen evidence that some professional sound engineers are using LSX speakers as studio monitors. KEF wisely included an Expert mode in their app, so advanced users can tweak output to suit their needs. For studio use, we recommend making wired connections for minimal latency and high digital sample rates.
- frequency response: 59-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- bi-amped design with separate Class D woofer and tweeter amplifiers for greater headroom and lower distortion
- woofer amplifier power: 70 watts
- tweeter amplifier power: 30 watts
- Uni-Q Driver Array technology makes your entire room sound like the «sweet spot»
- individual 24-bit/192kHz DAC for each driver
- 4-1/2″ magnesium/aluminium alloy woofer
- 3/4″ vented aluminium dome tweeter
- remote included
- peak SPL: 102 dB
- Bluetooth® 4.2 with aptX® for high-quality audio streaming performance
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi® for audio streaming from DLNA devices on your network
- precise digital signal processing controls allow optimal room integration
- free downloadable app lets you make pinpoint EQ adjustments with your Apple® or Android™ device
- bass-reflex cabinet with rear port for accurate, musical bass
- MDF enclosure with elegant curved front baffle
Connections (located on back of right-hand speaker):
- Toslink digital optical input (accepts signals up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- 3.5mm aux input
- 10/100 Mbps RJ-45 Ethernet input for network connection
- RJ-45 port on each speaker for connecting the pair
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- detachable power cord
- 6-1/8″W x 9-1/2″H x 7-1/8″D
- weight: 7.7 lbs. (left speaker), 7.9 lbs. (right speaker)
What’s in the box:
- 2 Powered wireless audio speaker
- Two 6.5′ AC power cords
- 10′ Ethernet cable
- Remote control (CR2032 3V battery pre-installed)
- Mazintenace Guide
- Warranty Information
- Important Safety Information