- Ultra Thin Diaphragm for lightning fast response, uncanny detail and ultra low distortion
- High Sensitivity allows use with virtually any smartphone or portable audio device.
- Low distortion and amazing sound quality.
- Window Shade Grill Design greatly reduces sonic reflections for clearer sound.
- Asymmetrical Ear Cups follows the natural shade of the human ear.
- Hybrid Ear Pads’ beveled design conforms to the shape of the human skull while velour and pleather materials provide optimum comfort.
What is it?
The Edition X comes with two pliant, grey fabric covered cables: a 1.5 meter cable terminated in a 90 degree angled 3.5mm TRS plug; and a 3 meter cable terminated with a straight 1/4″ TRS plug. Both cables have a “Y” junction about 18″ from the headphones and terminate in 2.5mm TRS plugs connecting to the ear capsules. Also included is a full-size presentation case. As the Edition X is advertised as a headphone ideal for use directly from smartphones and tablets, I would have preferred to see a mic/remote on the mobile cable, and a portable hard-side carry case rather than the presentation case.
Planar headphones have flat drivers. HiFiMan went to pains to perfect the ultra-thin Mylar diaphragm, described as “near Nanotech grade” and barely visible when viewed from the side. Both sides of the diaphragm are covered with what the company calls an “advanced asymmetrical magnetic circuit” that seeks the optimum balance between efficiency and sound quality as it propels the driver into motion.
Every headphone designer has to decide between leather-like or fabric earpads; some offer both options. HiFiMan splits the difference, ringing the comfortable velour pads with simulated leather. The headband also seeks the best of both worlds, combining a metal alloy band for strength atop a separate softer leather band, which adds comfort by directly supporting the weight of the headphones.
How does it work?
The cable is something special, said to be made with single-crystal silver conductor. Its slender blue-gray fabric sheath matches the color scheme of the earcups and is somehow resistant to kinking and tangling. The 60-inch dual-mono cable is terminated in a 3.5mm plug and uses a standard 2.5mm plug at the headphone end, making it replaceable or upgradeable, though the latter is probably unnecessary. A quarter-inch plug adapter is provided.
Ultra Thin Diaphragm for lightning fast response, uncanny detail and ultra low distortion. High Sensitivity allows use with virtually any smartphone or portable audio device. Low distortion and amazing sound quality. Window Shade Grill Design greatly reduces sonic reflections for clearer sound. Asymmetrical Ear Cups follows the natural shade of the human ear. Hybrid Ear Pads’ beveled design conforms to the shape of the human skull while velour and pleather materials provide optimum comfort. Lightweight, ergonomic headband for better fit, improved sound and comfort for longer term listening. High Performance Cable that is user-replaceable. Simple connectors allow easy switching or replacement to other cables.
What’s in the box?
- HiFiMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones
- 9 Feet (1.5 Meters) Headphone Cable with 1/8″ (3.5 mm) Plug
- 10 Feet (3 Meters) Headphone Cable with 1/4″ (6.35 mm) Plug